Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mode, oh Mode...

Hello!


I said that I was going to go to bed, but I love typing and I really wanted to get this information down. In this post I'm going to really simply inform you of the different modes that are available with my camera. This won't be all that descriptive, just to get you started.
In this picture below, you will see that there are two areas that are separated by a silver lining around four of the modes (the ones that are just letters vs. the ones that just pictures).

I'll start with the letters, starting with the "M" and go clockwise.

The Letters...

The "M" stands for "Manual" mode, which is where everything you do to take your picture is manual (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, ect...).
The "A" stands for "Aperture" where you manually set the aperture, and the shutter speed is automatic.
The "S" is for "Shutter" where you manually set the shutter speed, while the aperture is automatic.
The "P" is for "Program." This you set manually and all the settings are preset.

Then there were the pictures...

"AUTO" is obviously the mode where the camera does everything for you where it sees the best fit. I love this mode especially when I don't want to miss an opportunity and can't figure out what settings I want fast enough.
Then there's "Portrait" (with the lady wearing a hat) for pictures of people, mostly, "Landscape" (with the mountains) for landscapes (obviously). There's "Close-Up" (the flower) for detailed pictures of small things, although I find this works best when you have a macro lens. The running person is usually when you're attempting to take a picture of your kid running the hundred meter dash. Lastly, there's "Night" mode (of the buildings) and "Night portrait" (person with a star near their head), both useful for the night on the town.

This is just a brief introduction to all the modes, although I will go into more detail soon, especially with the letter modes. If you're reading this to inform yourself more about what this dial does, then this should be enough for you to take in to mess around one day and just shoot.
It's all really simple, although it may seem like a lot, the repetitive reading and fooling around really helped me and will probably help you, too.

Adios, amigos!


No comments: